Ever wondered reading to your newborn could be so much fun and exciting, as you can see your baby enjoying each and every word you read to him. You must me thinking that how can a small baby understand what you read to him. It’s true that he won’t understand each and every word you read to him, but reading loud helps to develop a bond between you and your baby.
No matter how old your baby is, start reading to him as soon as possible as it will give you a great opportunity of cuddling and bonding with your baby. Reading loud to your infant is a wonderful and exciting activity for both mom and baby.
When you read aloud to your baby, he keenly listens to the expression and emotion of sounds, which helps him to develop emotional attachment with you. Reading also helps your baby to develop socially and improve his thinking skills through sound and touch.
The more you read books to your baby the more your child learns new words and the better your baby will learn to talk. Reading even promotes your baby to understand words better and recognize pictures better. For first few months, your baby will be picking up with the rhythm of your words rather than book contents. Decide which books you should read to your baby. Books having attractive pictures and colors like story books, baby books, nursery rhymes etc.
Reading book to your infant is not an easy task as it seems to be. You have to be creative enough to make your baby feel good. Make different sounds while reading so that it makes your baby excited and bounce with joy. Try singing songs to your baby like nursery rhymes as they easily chants your baby. Choose those times when your baby is dry, fed and in a good mood.
Few reading tips you can follow are:
- Cuddle your baby to feel safe and warm while reading
- Read in louder and lower tone when necessary with expressions
- Keep asking question in between and comment when necessary
- Sing, make animal sounds and bounce him on your knee to make him feel good.
- Don’t be afraid of repetitions, it helps in learning better for an infant.
- Read at proper times, especially during nap times.
- Teaching your baby to enjoy reading is as much valuable as bonding with him at earlier stages of his life.